Mother Nature is Medicine

Mother Nature is Medicine
MOTHER NATURE IS MEDICINE. The Creator has given us everything that we need. It is all here on this Earth and in the Universe. It can be found in the Earth, in the Sky, in the Waters, in the Air. Often times, we, as humans, tend to view nature as something that is "apart" from ourselves. We talk of spending time "in nature." We, in a sense, distance ourselves. In reality, we ARE "a - part" as well. The Great Spirit put us here and blessed us and our ancestors with this beautiful earth. Embracing the Creator and the natural blessings is food & nourishment for the body, mind, and soul. Nature is medicine. ~Peace and Blessings~

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Do We Need Meat?

On my first post of this blog, I wrote how the earth has so many resources that we don't need certain things because the natural earth provides it all. Can this idea be the same for meat also? Although animals are part of the natural earth, do we really need to eat them to gain nourishement and all the vitamins that we need? Those who don't eat meat would say no, of course not. Meat does provide protein but so do other foods like beans. I heard one person say that we really "don't need to eat meat more than three times a week". When I weighed the possibilities and considered the things that I have heard and read over the years, perhaps she is right. One reason is the one mentioned above.

The second reason is that meat takes so long to digest. Fruits and vegetables go through the digestive system easier and faster. Sometimes it can take days for some steak to digest fully through your body. Imagine what your insides look like as this happens. It's pretty gross. While you're eating your salami sandwich, the big hamburger that you ate two days ago is still trying to digest. According to Dr. Oz, a show that I really enjoy, that can be a cause for indigestion. They said that when you're eating a meal, eat the fruits and veggies first before you eat the sandwich. We tend to eat the sandwich first, but when we do that the meat goes down slower and creates a block, not allowing the other good foods to go through. If we decreased the amount of meat intake, we will be giving our bodies more time to work properly and we won't feel so sluggish either. My family in general, doesn't eat a lot of meat. For one thing, it can be pretty expensive. We eat it with our meals, but not a lot of it. Nevertheless, we eat some at least twice a day. I've been considering it and I am now trying to not eat meat everyday. I'm not on some diet and I'm not doing this forcefully as some kind of fad. I'm doing this because I want to and I want to live healthy and take care of my body. Of course I get that taste for a juicy vegetable topped hamburger or a beef enchilada. I like those things, but I know that I need to get in those vitamins from my vegetables.
I'm always learning and if we know everything, then why try to change something in our lives. I don't know everything but I am learning more in how to treat my body how it should be treated. My mother always says "We only have one body" so let's treat it right.

The third reason is what you might have heard about recently - the now famous "pink slime". Apparently, the major beef companies, after cutting the beef that we eat, have been mixing the leftover 'stuff' of the cow that nobody wants and have mixed it creating this pink stuff that looks like slime, "pink slime" as they call it. Excusez-moi? Ewww! Now, it's not in all beef products, but it was probably in the ground beef that we bought at the store not too long ago! Imagine, all of those times I went to the restaurant or the store and ate that... It makes me cringe. Seriously? Could something like that be the cause of all these health problems that Americans face? Sometimes you can never know what goes in your food. The cook may not have washed his hands after going to the bathroom. Not everyone wears gloves or hair nets. Flies buzzing. Low health rates of the restaurant. Don't be rude to the cook, they just might spit in your food. How will you know? Well, at least we now know of this slime. All of these things makes me want to only eat at home, where I know what the cook is doing!

Yesterday, I chose to eat Vegetarian and I felt good about it. I didn't feel the need to eat sausage or turkey or beef and I was fine. Do what feels right for your body. Listen to your body.

Nature has its laws, maybe we have forgotten it and need to listen to it again.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment